Grass Roots Solutions for Zoning

The long-awaited state zoning bill, SB 1024, was announced on March 10 for a public hearing on March 15th. The virtual public hearing ran a full 24 hours before being halted with hundreds still waiting to testify. In my time in Hartford, this has been one of the most controversial and hotly debated subjects ever…

Read More

Seeking Viable Solutions Not Bigger Problems

A question I always ask myself on pending legislation is “what problem does this solve?” The answer should be concise, clear and offer a viable solution. To me, our biggest responsibility as lawmakers are finding real and pragmatic solutions. With that in mind, two key proposals are getting a good deal of attention these days:…

Read More

Solving Problems in Hartford with Good Policy

Where will the intersection of solving our state’s problems and far left policy proposals meet? This appears to be the theme of this year’s legislative session. Hang on to your hats — it is sure to be a fast and interesting ride. All in, around 5,000 concepts will be proposed and by the beginning of…

Read More

What Being Republican Means To Me

I recently received this very thoughtful question from a constituent: “How do I reconcile the actions of the Republican Party, nationally (which I deem to be divisive and counter to the progress of women and minorities), with the intentions and actions of the local party (which I deem to be more in alignment with unity…

Read More

State Control of Local Zoning

In recent polling, Connecticut scores high on quality of life and low on affordability. As our state economy continues to struggle, the latest “fix” coming out of Hartford is state control of local zoning. This is purportedly to address issues of housing affordability and opportunity. Yes, Hartford would be in charge of making decisions on zoning in…

Read More